MYKITA UNDER A NEW ROOF
In addition to being the headquarters in Berlin, the MYKITA HAUS is a metaphor for the holistic company philosophy. Experts from all fields are united under one roof here – from design, production, customer service, communication, and everything in between. So many heads and so much creativity need space. After a long journey throughout Berlin and all its backyards, a new and most importantly bigger HAUS has been found: A historically listed building with a loft-like atmosphere from the year 1902 is the new home to MYKITA and its modern manufactory.
The MYKITA HAUS in Berlin
The district around Ritterstraße in Kreuzberg was once one of the most important export transit areas of the city. In the beginning, artists and traders moved here, shortly thereafter the first business at industrial complexes were set up – during its peak over 1400 factories with 1350 agencies of overseas businesses were registered here. Due to all the horse-drawn carriages in the area loaded with the most diverse merchandise, the area became known as the “drayman quarter”. From 1905, the building housed a metal goods factory – a century later MYKITA has picked up the tradition of the original residents.
The four walls of the courtyard feature an art deco style façade made up of beige-coloured enamelled bricks with geometric dark green tiles. Large-scale windows on each floor ensure visibility between the levels and views onto the courtyard and Ritterstraße.
The neoclassical building was built by architect Kurt Berndt, who also designed the Hackesche Höfe in Berlin Mitte. The five-storey building is comprised of a front building, a rear building and two wings, which provide the enclosure for an extensive courtyard. The manufactory, where all MYKITA glasses are handcrafted, resides on the ground floor and first level. The remaining levels of the house, with a total of 5,000 square metres of space, house product design, prototype construction, corporate design, marketing/PR, the quality department as well as logistics, international sales and the retail department.
As you walk through the courtyard entrance, the reception is to the left; this is also where you’ll find the showroom with all the current collections. Behind this is the MYKITA Academy, used for internal and external training. The four walls of the courtyard feature an art deco style façade made up of beige-coloured enamelled bricks with geometric dark green tiles. Large-scale windows on each floor ensure visibility between the levels and views onto the courtyard and Ritterstraße.
The lighting is inspired by the MYKITA Shop concept: neon tubes are fastened to perforated metal as in an installation. Just like the MYKITA Wall, the light enters the room only through the transparent parts. MYKITA carried out the entire planning and interior design of the house.
A golden pelican and the Pelikan logotype on the glazed sandstone façade of the street- front is a reminder of the stationery manufacturer that resided here from 1933 to the 1970s. The slim neon tubes of the MYKITA logo now join the pelican, and so complete the transformation into MYKITA HAUS.